With easy access to everything from YouTube videos about how to sew your own curtains to Pinterest boards full of tips on refinishing furniture, there’s never been a better time to DIY. Tackling home improvement as a “do it yourself” project gives you total control over the process, offers the opportunity to learn new skills, and can even save you some money. Ready to tackle some projects around the house? Here are 10 apps to help out:
- Benjamin Moore Color Portfolio App & ColorReader — See a color you think would look nice on your walls? Snap a picture with this free app and you can find the closest Benjamin Moore paint color, see complementary colors, and even create custom paint colors unique to your needs.
- ColourSmart by BEHR— With this free app you can do more than just compare paint colors — you can even calculate how much paint you’ll need to tackle any given project.
- ProjectColor by Home Depot — This free app allows you to take a photo of a room and then virtually “paint” the walls in order to preview your color choices.
- Home Design 3D — This powerful, free app allows you to create a simple 3D model of your home or room and then fill it with customizable furniture. See how new furniture or paint colors would look, or just test out arrangement ideas without all the heavy lifting!
- Wikihow — This free, community-built database contains nearly 200,000 articles on how to do everything from replacing a thermostat to installing a mailbox.
- DIY Tip Genius — With this free app, access thousands of tips, instructions, and ideas for DIY home improvement projects. Plus, save tips for later or share with friends.
- Pinterest — Pinterest is a free virtual pinboard that makes it easy to save images, ideas, and resources for home decor DIY and then organize them conveniently into categories.
- Houzz — Join the Houzz community with this free app and start saving home decorating ideas, connecting with local home improvement pros, and reading up on furniture and product recommendations.
- iHandy Carpenter — For $1.99, you can have a complete carpentry toolkit in your pocket, including a digital level, plumb bob, steel protractor, and ruler.
- RoomScan Pro — This app allows you to map out the dimensions of a room in seconds by simply placing your device against each wall. RoomScan Pro can also scan building exteriors, yards, and gardens too, with the ExteriorScan & PlotScan features.
Some tasks require an expert, but others require only time and enthusiasm! With a complete arsenal of DIY apps handy, you’ll be ready to take on any home improvement project that you can dream up.
Thinking of selling or buying real estate? Send us an email or give us a call if you want to talk about your options!